Homeowners Insurance

Your home is many times your greatest asset
Ways to make sure that you are properly insured.

  1. Have your home re-valued each year. Then let your insurance agent adjust your insurance policy to properly cover against any loss.
  2. Make a list & take photos of all the property inside your home. Give this list to your agent to make sure that everything that is valuable to you is covered under your policy.
  3. Keep your personal documents and priceless heirlooms in a safe place. A fire proof safe is a great option.

Homeowners Insurance

The coverage you have depends upon the type of policy you have. Homeowner’s policies can be quite different, depending on the "form" number. The most common types of homeowner policies are:
· HO1 Basic or Standard policy
· HO2 Broad form
· HO3 Special (also called Deluxe, All Risk)
· HO4 Renters policy
· HO6 Condo policy
· HO8 Older Home Policy
All homeowner policies are "package" policies. You get a group of coverage’s packaged into your policy for one overall premium. They include coverage on your building, your contents (furniture, clothing, etc.) and liability insurance in case you are sued, under the same policy. The property coverage is shown under Section 1, while the liability coverage is described under Section 2.

Reading you homeowners policy is the best way for you to understand it. We suggest you pull out your policy and find the parts to your policy that correspond to the following explanations:

A typical policy consists of three things:
1. The Declarations Page - that declares who, what and how much you are insuring, along with the date your coverage starts and the premium.
2. The Policy Booklet - printed pages that contain the details of coverages and exclusions.
3. Endorsements - separate pages, usually with endorsement numbers, that change (or endorse) specific parts of the policy.
Sometimes you are only given the original policy once in the beginning, then on renewal, to cut down expenses, you are just sent the dec. page (declaration page) with the bill. It's a good idea to save the original policies should you ever need to refer to them.

More Detailed Information:

The HO1 policy is very limited in coverage and is not being sold by most companies.
The HO2 policy covers the basic perils of fire, lightning, explosion, smoke, hail, aircraft, riot, glass breakage, theft and damage caused by vehicles. It also adds additional coverage to broaden your policy. Those perils include damage caused by rupture of your water or heating pipes, falling objects (such as trees), collapse of the building, limit electrical damage to appliances and others.

The HO3 policy is, by far, the most commonly sold policy. It covers everything the HO2 policy covers and more. Instead of listing the perils that are covered these policies cover all damage to the building except what is excluded. The usual exclusions are: wear and tear, termites, rotting, collapse of septic tank, flood, war, earthquake and a few others.

Some HO3 policies are referred to as "Deluxe" , "Special" , "All Risk" policies depending upon the company.

Most policies cover your contents or belongings only for the perils named in an HO2 policy so wear and tear and normal breakage is not covered for your furniture and personal belongings.
Be careful! Your homeowner policy limits coverage on some items.

To keep the cost of insurance down your policy probably has limits on certain items. Typical limits are:
· Cash - $200
· Jewelry - $1,000
· Firearms - $2,500
· Silverware - $2,500
Check your policy carefully. If you see you don't have enough coverage, find out how much it would cost to increase those limits or to buy special coverage.

Optional Coverage
In addition to special coverage for jewelry, silverware and furs, you can purchase specific coverage for such possessions as stamp or coin collections, fine arts, camera equipment, collectibles, watercraft and musical instruments, just to name a few.

Renters Insurance
A great way to protect your valuables if you are renting.
Whether you are in college or renting an apartment, you may want to consider "renters insurance". Renters insurance will cover your contents while you are renting.

Many people neglect to get renters insurance, but consider this.
Renters insurance can cost as little as $15 a month. For this price you can have peaces of mind that your valuable personal affects are protected against theft, fire or any other loss that might occur.
Please, contact us for more details on renters insurance.